Tuesday 27 May 2014

Empowerment of women




By Luumumo S. Mudenda

Socially man are considered to be more superior to women, they control the property, productive assets and have the final say in economic decisions. This has led to women being submissive and docile to the patriarchal nature of society. Projects like Self-Help Groups (SHG) implemented by Basilwizi in Sinampande, Nagangala and Sinansengwe, come to intervene to this injustice by showing women that they can help and uplift themselves without depending on anyone hence eliminating the dependency syndrome.

Self-Help Group empowers women socially and economically. These groups are indeed sustaining the lives of the women as some are now empowered and developing due to these groups.
“I am really benefiting from SHG; poverty is now lessened in my household.
I borrowed $20 and started to buy beer since its profitable during Christmas and I obtained generous profits from it but now my business is flourishing and no one can guess I started as little as $20 . I urge women to join SHG as it can really change one’s life as it did mine”… said a smiling Sibongile Simuchombe.
At group meetings, members practice rotational leadership whereby everyone becomes a moderator at one time. This is crucial in that everyone tends to be a leader hence helps boost confidence.
“Ever since I joined the group and have started my own small business, my status in the family has changed, my opinion in decision making is now recognized “…said Mlalazi.

Project officer Mary Sibanda introducing the SHG concept at Nangala-Sinampande ward
“Women should help themselves instead of depending from man for everything and we intend  to enforce this philisophy”… said Mary Sibanda, the Project Officer.


No comments:

Post a Comment